Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: QWISO Hash Oil Tips?

QWISO Hash Oil Tips?

Sup guys and gals!

I've been dabbling (and dabbing) in hash oil for a little while now. I've done some runs of QWISO and some runs of BHO.

So far my BHO has turned out to be MUCH better tasting and an all around more appealing product than my QWISO. Now on my most recent QWISO run I finally was able to do a short enough soak to keep the finished hash a more translucent shade and with much less chlorophyll, but I still don't get those great terpenes that I do with BHO.

Is this just something I have to accept with making QWISO?

Part of it is definitely what I'm using to make the oil, so I guess I need to use some actual buds with both methods to get a better idea.
    Live and Learn
    How to get an Omicron Oil Vaporizer for $55

NWGT Senior Member
    Keep it a quick wash, make sure you double strain that way less material is stuck in the alochol which will make it black and dark. the shorter wash the better

NWGT Senior Member
    yeah pretty much... I don't think I have ever had a batch of qwiso that tasted like the strain, even the best shatter. If you want to smoke it BHO is the way to go

I'm using a VERYYYY fine 304 stainless steel screen, so if there's some plant material getting through it's not much I'd think.

Do you guys use coffee filters? I'm just using these screens so far because I feel like using coffee filters will absorb too much of the oil.

Also what is winterizing? I've seen this term used, and I think it's to remove the waxes?

I definitely hear ya on the short as possible wash, I've gotten progressively shorter with my runs and now I'm realizing that basically the faster I can get the product in the iso and well soaked and then get the iso out of contact with the product the better the end result is. This last stuff I produced is definitely dab-able, I took one myself then loaded the rest in my Omicron and I'm really enjoying it so far.
    Live and Learn

Also what are some good sources for alcohol? I'm currently using 99% Isopropyl from Safeway. It's like $2.50 for a small bottle that's enough to do probably 28-40 grams of material.
    Live and Learn

NWGT Senior Member
    everclear alochol but they dont sell the good stuff here in wa

I've never really gotten into concentrates, but I read a lot about them.

Here's something to laugh at....
    I attempted to make qwiso once with kief and bud. I let it evaporate next to a fan. Unfortunately, I was so baked I forgot about it for 4 days. When I came back, there was no oil to scrape up, just a glass pan covered in a fine dusting of thc. It was way finer than kief so I guess it was thc dust lol. Damn it was smooth though!

From what I've read and watched on Youtube, I'm beginning to think the most important factors other than the quality of material are:

1. Using 99% isopropyl alcohol
    2. Keeping your quick wash between 30 seconds and 2 minutes.
    3. Straining well
    4. Method of evaporation

Those are things I've heard in other forums and from youtube videos, so take them with a grain of salt. Good luck.
    Last edited by closed4fishing; 09-17-2012 at 07:43 PM.

NWGT Jr. Member
    Freeze the iso and the bud before doing the wash.
    Keep the wash super short like everyone is saying (20 seconds or under personally - i keep going shorter and shorter)
    Do your first strain over something with bigger mesh like a metal strainer so the bud and the alcohol aren't in contact like yakima is sayin, and then do a second finer filter. I use a coffee filter for that part.

You got it on the winterizing, and yea I think qwiso just doesn't have the same terp profile that bho does. It is good in its own way though. I think ethanol extracts and butane extracts taste better overall. Ethanol isn't as aggressive in stripping the bad tasting stuff so it's a little easier to tweak to get a better tasting dab imo.
    Last edited by 2000pm; 09-18-2012 at 07:34 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by yakima_greens View Post
    everclear alochol but they dont sell the good stuff here in wa
    they do now I saw it at safeway yestersday

Quote Originally Posted by JN View Post
    Was that 190 proof you saw or 151 proof? The only everclear I've ever come across in WA state is only 151 proof.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000pm View Post
    Freeze the iso and the bud before doing the wash.
    Keep the wash super short like everyone is saying (20 seconds or under personally - i keep going shorter and shorter)
    Do your first strain over something with bigger mesh like a metal strainer so the bud and the alcohol aren't in contact like yakima is sayin, and then do a second finer filter. I use a coffee filter for that part.

You got it on the winterizing, and yea I think qwiso just doesn't have the same terp profile that bho does. It is good in its own way though. I think ethanol extracts and butane extracts taste better overall. Ethanol isn't as aggressive in stripping the bad tasting stuff so it's a little easier to tweak to get a better tasting dab imo.
    Thanks for your input dood! I think I'll incorporate a coffee filter in my next round. Been resisting it because I didn't want to suffer with yield, but it seems like it would be worthwile because even with my super fine filter I think there are still very fine particles making it through.

I've been enjoying my last batch of QWISO for the last few days. Been dabbing it and putting it in my Omicron. The flavor is not what it was with BHO, but the effects are all definitely still there. Also despite the fact that I vac purge my BHO this QWISO seems to be a smoother smoke.

Also did something I hadn't tried before, which is decarbing my herbs before doing the extraction. Don't think this had much of an effect on yield (if anything made it a little worse due to less water content) but I definitely notice a change in the effects of the oil. Much more sedative for sure.

Can you describe the winterization process? I think I get it... so the idea is to redisolve the oil back into alcohol and then put that in the freezer, then what the waxes just rise to the top and the alcohol retains the active chemicals? Or do the waxes sink to the bottom and then you remove the alcohol/oil and evap the alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by JN View Post
    Good lookin JN! I will look into this tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure that ethanol will be out of my price range for an extract (damn taxes!) Nice to know it's there though!

When I harvest I will be devoting a decent portion of my crop to concentrates. I'll be making BHO, QWISO, and HHO (hexane hash oil) to compare and see what I like best.

Has anyone here tried making hexane oil? It will be a considerable investment to obtain lab-grade hexane (~$130 for a gallon) but I'm hoping it will give closer to a BHO final product with the easy creation process of QWISO.
    Live and Learn

NWGT Senior Member
    I would use this stuff from fry's.... its electrical grade cleaning alcohol... ill snap a pic real quick (and a bowl) one sec. Comes in a bigger bottle and is 99.953% alcohol I think

NWGT Senior Member
    IMG_4514.jpg

One on the left is a bit more expensive (99.953%) than the one on the right (99.9)

Might give that stuff a try. Frys seems to be the shit for solvents! They also carry a very high purity hexane.
    Live and Learn

for amillion qwiso methods just type in qwiso into the search bar. Ive read many a good thread on this forum on the subject.

your best bet is get a french press keep alcohol and material under 40 degrees and dont do more than a 60 sec soak and pour (total time)... oh and yes your iso can taste delicious, you just need to add back turpines and flavinoids after winterization..... you can also add back the plant fats till you get the desired consistency as you may not prefer shatter.

alot of our oil is bho>iso but thats just because we prefer selectivity of butane and the instant dissipation of the bho into the thin film of iso then the ability to winterize with the iso if desired
    Last edited by smokeyfish; 09-19-2012 at 01:31 PM.

NWGT Jr. Member
    Yea I've been told that pre-wetting your coffee filter with some alcohol first will reduce how much of the saturated stuff will soak into it. I actually save mine up and do an extract on those later once there are enough lol.

With winterization once you dissolve the oil back into solution and freeze for a while (I'd do at least 24 hours but I feel like longer freezes do precipitate out more junk sometimes, go for 48 if you can) the waxes will drop to the bottom after coagulating up. You will be wanting to winterize with ethanol/everclear and not just back with more iso since that would be useless. Nonpolar extracts like bho will drop out more of those white waxes and fats. I've noticed that iso/ethanol alcohol extracts drop out more red looking wax.

I've found a lot of useful info from http://skunkpharmresearch.com/ and I'm sure you've seen his posts if you hit up the city or icmag ever.
    Last edited by 2000pm; 09-19-2012 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smokeyfish View Post
    for amillion qwiso methods just type in qwiso into the search bar. Ive read many a good thread on this forum on the subject.

your best bet is get a french press keep alcohol and material under 40 degrees and dont do more than a 60 sec soak and pour (total time)... oh and yes your iso can taste delicious, you just need to add back turpines and flavinoids after winterization..... you can also add back the plant fats till you get the desired consistency as you may not prefer shatter.

alot of our oil is bho>iso but thats just because we prefer selectivity of butane and the instant dissipation of the bho into the thin film of iso then the ability to winterize with the iso if desired
    Man smokey you're throwing out info well beyond my knowledge! How does one add terpenes and flavinoids back into oils?? And are you talking about the same terps from the extracted material... or a synthetic source?

I haven't messed with separating waxes and the like yet. Seems like that's my next step. Thank you for the french press idea as well, I'll do some reading on that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000pm View Post
    Yea I've been told that pre-wetting your coffee filter with some alcohol first will reduce how much of the saturated stuff will soak into it. I actually save mine up and do an extract on those later once there are enough lol.

With winterization once you dissolve the oil back into solution and freeze for a while (I'd do at least 24 hours but I feel like longer freezes do precipitate out more junk sometimes, go for 48 if you can) the waxes will drop to the bottom after coagulating up. You will be wanting to winterize with ethanol/everclear and not just back with more iso since that would be useless. Nonpolar extracts like bho will drop out more of those white waxes and fats. I've noticed that iso/ethanol alcohol extracts drop out more red looking wax.

I've found a lot of useful info from http://skunkpharmresearch.com/ and I'm sure you've seen his posts if you hit up the city or icmag ever.
    Smart man pre-wetting the filters! I have read some of the Skunkman's posts but a lot of the material is lost on me. That guy is wild though... "diy" supercritical co2 extractions!

Sorry I'm struggling to understand this stuff from just reading your guys posts, I'm a very visually oriented learner. So these waxes drop to the bottom, are they then discarded? Do they serve any purpose? Then I just take the remaining liquid and evap that, leaving me a pristine oil?
    Live and Learn

NWGT Garden Guru
    Bump! I am also looking for more knowledge in this area!

NWGT Jr. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Errl View Post
    Sorry I'm struggling to understand this stuff from just reading your guys posts, I'm a very visually oriented learner. So these waxes drop to the bottom, are they then discarded? Do they serve any purpose? Then I just take the remaining liquid and evap that, leaving me a pristine oil?
    Yea they are discarded. Once they drop out you filter it once again and the waxes are tossed and alcohol evaporated leaving you the oil. Check out this thread [link] for a pictorial on cleaining the waxes/fats out of BHO.

NWGT Senior Member galorando420's Avatar
    I put a step by step process of winterization with pictures in an oil thread here somewhere, it's bho, to iso though not just qwiso

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast