Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3200 USD, Received: 270 USD (8%)
2014 NWGT BBQ DONATION PLEDGE: Venue cost, food cost, bbq, cook, kitchen cost, Decorative supplies, chair and table rental, live music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megahome Still for Alcohol & Essential Oil Making

Megahome Still for Alcohol & Essential Oil Making

Anyone tried one of these?

Just about ready to order me one and was wondering if anyone has had any bad experiences with it.

http://www.nutriteam.com/megahome-still-for-alcohol-essential-oil-making.html

I seen a video on youtube showing the making of RSO with it and seems pretty decent.

Bornon420 any comment on this?

Also what do you think of the Nuwave induction cooker?

https://www.nuwavecooktop.com//?ref_...FSFyQgodfw0ADA
    My 1st grow journal
    Skippy's Grow & Drip bucket updates
    "Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up."

NWGT Senior Member
    Have been using mine for years and love it! Only problem is the exterior isn't as durable as you might think...mine has a nice dent.

The charcoal filter part doesn't do much but that is a good deal for it.

-RM

I'm liking this, perfect for making butter or coconut oil or for getting your bho to temp for the vacuum purge. For $100 bucks post some reviews after you try it out. If you're getting it for just RSO I would suggest a rice cooker, I picked one up for like $10 bucks.
    I'd rather be a free man in my grave than living as a puppet or a slave - Jimmy Cliff

Haven't used either personnally, but running from memory, I think the nu wave runs in 10deg increments so should be a nice unit? I think ol kenniwick man might have one of those? I have 2 buddies use the mega home still, I've not personnally tried one (not big enough for my needs). But that said 1 buddy makes 17lb of oil with his (units) yearly, the other buddy could never get his to really work for him at all? Op error? I dunno.
    My only concern with the nu wave is size handeling? Setting 6 gallons of liquid and swishing it around is a bit of weight. Not sure of durability? But prob ok. and induction pots and cookers are sized for each other. (10" cooker for a 10" diamater pot, but that said my pot is several inches oversized for my cooker and it works like a dream)

NWGT Garden Guru
    I am gettin the megahome for christmas. I didnt realize you could make oil with it, im getting it to make booze

Go go Skippy!!! Get set up for making oil, so I have a hookup down south =).

If there is anything I can do to help out just let me know.
    There's no such thing as a free ride and no shortcuts. Anybody can grow weed, but only the lucky and experienced can grow great weed.
    A close up look into the Temple: http://www.nwgt.org/showthread.php?2...id-What-I-Done

Finally got it last week. Havn't had time to use it until today. I soaked some buds to make RSO. Used 2 gallons of everclear 190 and probably lost around 1/4 gallon because of stupidity/spills etc.. So ended up with 3.5 1/2 gallons jugs filtered.

Been running it since noon (4 hrs) and have recovered about 1.25 gallons so far. Shouldnt be to long and I will know how much the total recovery is.

Used 8 ounces of bud and 2 ounces of good trim.

Hoping to hit around 40 grams or better, Time will tell.

Here's a pic of it recovering some 190.

20130112_153834_1024x768.jpg
    My 1st grow journal

Love the ability to reclaim that expensive 190, let us know how it goes. I know those things have an auto shut off, I'm curious at what point that kicks in? Whether you can just let it go till it shuts off itself or if you have to check on it periodically to prevent burning the oil?

Pretty interesting Skip.I'd like to see what the finished product is like.I just can't imagine.But I never got a good look at what rso is either.(Damn noob)

NWGT Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    Love the ability to reclaim that expensive 190, let us know how it goes. I know those things have an auto shut off, I'm curious at what point that kicks in? Whether you can just let it go till it shuts off itself or if you have to check on it periodically to prevent burning the oil?
    You have to check on it....totally dumb system. Pretty much plan on filling it, run it for a bit and pop the top to refill. If you run it to the point the product is like taffy, you'll never be able to add more.

Deadly simple to use....I lent mine out to a board member, have to see how he made out.

-RM

Ended up losing 1/4 gallon in the recovery process, Right now I have it on the induction plate cooking off the final alcohol and water droplets.

I am making a quick rinse batch tomorrow from the freezer we will see how that goes.
    My 1st grow journal

I want one but don't know if I want to give the Feds another reason to fuck with me.
    http://askville.amazon.com/illegal-b...questId=142392
    Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

It is not illegal to own one as long as your not making the alcohol I thought but I could be wrong. Besides it was sold as a water distiller not an alcohol distiller.

Anyway here is a couple pics of the hot plate cooking it off.

RSO 005_1024x768.jpgRSO 003_1024x768.jpg
    My 1st grow journal

NWGT Senior Member
    Zero legal issues....this device was made to distill water. If you get it from Brewhaus, they mod it to work specifically with alcohol.

Distilling fuel alcohol in the state is legal, which means you "need" to denature it after making it.

In this case, is the law even broken (outside of using cannabis)....you are technically distilling but not changing the proof...hmmmm.....

Been doing it for years and nobody raises an eyebrow....hell if you walk into any beer brew store in the state they have em right on the shelf.

-RM

Quote Originally Posted by RexManning View Post
    In this case, is the law even broken (outside of using cannabis)....you are technically distilling but not changing the proof...hmmmm.....
    No law is broken as you are not making alcohol. You are just reclaiming alcohol that already existed.

You definitely want the one modified for alcohol, the water distiller version runs much hotter.

Its probably more then legal as over time you are reducing the proof of your 190. lol
    "I think my passion is misinterpreted as anger sometimes. And I don't think people are ready for the message that I'm delivering, and delivering with a sense of violent love." - Charlie Sheen

Quote Originally Posted by Soup View Post
    You definitely want the one modified for alcohol, the water distiller version runs much hotter.
    This one was actually an essential oil extractor / Water distiller The low wattage version. Thanks for pointing that out soup!
    My 1st grow journal

Looking great skippy! Sounds like its gonna work! How much of the lost 1/2 gallon was from the machine? And how much from spilling? The oil looks good! Has that nice golden hue to it!
    ya know we call it marijuana 'crude' and many think of it as a lesser product than bho, but get on A360 sometime and compare the numbers on Rso vrs bho and you'll be surprised! Most BHO's average around 40-55% thc, and I bet the average for Rso is closer to 60-70%, many hitting the 80's. Good job skippy!

Lost 1/4 gallon from recovery and about 1/4 gallon during the cleanup and straining process... Think my wife drank some too! She was acting like a drunk:)

Also, I used 10 ounces and ended up with 35 Syringes @1.1 grams each and about 1/4" in a small Stainless cup.. probably another 5-6 grams.
    Last edited by Skippy; 01-13-2013 at 12:39 PM.
    My 1st grow journal

NWGT Newbie
    I just (finished?) making my first test batch of RSO using the Megahome Oil Distiller and ISO 99%. I’d say overall it was a successful test. What I ended up with is a clean looking amber oil, except, long after the bubbling had stopped (total time on cup warmer was 22 hrs, bubbles stopped after about 5-7 hours) I was still seeing two things.

First, there are these tiny wispy eruptions that look like oil slicks (like when outboard motor gas/oil mix floats on the lake) that keep appearing on the surface. Second, when I tilt the cup (with the warmed oil in it) so I can see the bottom where the oil has thinned, small bubbles seem to keep appearing. When the oil is cooled I can see a handful of what look like bubbles the size of pin pricks as well as a thin film (that looks like those eruptions but now spread) on much of the surface and along part of the edge. Other than that the oil looks great. One more note, when I first put the oil on the cup warmer I could smell the alcohol coming out of it, now I’m sure all I smell is oil.

1. The bubbles are being continuously created by the heat which then make their way to the surface creating the eruptions/slicks… just oil bubbling.

2. Can there be oil slicks on the surface of oil?

3. I have heard that ISO and others (wood alcohol?) produces small amounts of fusel oil (the stuff that makes you go blind?) during fermentation which cannot be completely eliminated.

4. The amounts of bubbles/film in the batch are so small that even if I am wrong about 1 and right about 3, the oil should be good.

I used 1 oz. of White Dane and yielded about 1 or 2 teaspoons (guesstimation).

What do you folks think? Have you observed the same things? Have I completed the process and is my oil safe to consume? Should I put I back on the warmer some more?

Thanks, check

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast