Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TGA Super Soil

TGA Super Soil

Been wanting to try this stuff out. Found it locally, but was a bit shocked at the price($40/1.5cu bag). I was wondering if anyone else was using it, and if so, where they were getting it and at what cost?

Yeah, I know, this also means I should be starting a grow journal on this stuff...

There are many discussions on this topic and different soils but if I were to try a Charged soil, it would most definitely be this one.....http://www.nwgt.org/showthread.php?1...ght=super+soil

I had gotten an email about this, ouch 40 a bag! If only water to end of flower it might work out cheaper. Do a journal for sure!

I've actually got all the components to make a batch of Super Soil, but I don't have a warm enough place to "cook" it. (they say two months at 65F) I'll be trying it come Spring, but until then, I was wanting to get an idea of what I'm in for.

Mostly posted this to figure out if people knew where to find Super Soil for cheaper. The place I got the two bags was also selling TGA seeds at 20% higher price than what I pay else where. (I also found it odd that the only local distributor was a dispensary, not a garden shop!) Wasn't thrilled on the vibe a received at the place,either, so I'm hoping to not have to go back.

My next/first(for this site) grow journal will starting next Monday. I got 2 Vortex, 2 Jack Herer, and 2 New York Sour Diesel. Getting excited to try some new things!
    Last edited by Impervious Thwomp; 02-23-2013 at 12:04 AM. Reason: I felt like it.

If you make the simple soil tricks linked to, and buy your ingredients from aqua serene, it will cost you about $8 per cubic foot. And you don't need to cook it at all! That way the nitrogen will still be available when your plants need it and not all gone by week 4 of flower like in super soil.

And yes, have some liquid organics on hand(especially micros) to supplement if needed. Shit happens, and some strains are extra hungry for micros and/or nitrogen etc.
    Find me @NWGROW.LINK

I also heard someone used brewers yeast to help speed up the fermentation process of their super soil. So instead of waiting months, they waited about 2 weeks. The brewers yeast accelerated the growth of the microbes so much it becomes ready to use.
    Check out The Vaporizer Blog for news and reviews!

Another way to go is to just buy the Charge Packs. It's got all the needed components already in it. You just add it to any of your typical soil. One TGA Supersoil starter pack mixes with 15 cubic feet of soil. You can get Charge Packs for about 80 bucks (I think) at the Dank Tank (near Edmonds). Then, just put it into your favorite local soil and let it cook for a couple months.

It doesn't have to be at 65F (although it helps) to activate the soil. As long as it isn't freezing, it should work.
    Muttt

Quote Originally Posted by Slightly Medicated View Post
    I also heard someone used brewers yeast to help speed up the fermentation process of their super soil. So instead of waiting months, they waited about 2 weeks. The brewers yeast accelerated the growth of the microbes so much it becomes ready to use.
    The microbes are ready to use as soon as they are wet and given a food source. I don't know where the idea that you have to pre cook your soil started, but it's a fallacy.
    Find me @NWGROW.LINK

I heard that you use the super soil for the bottom layer of the pot, and than just the standard soil for the rest of the pot?

Are you planning on just using the super soil only?

I think the idea behind "cooking" the soil is to propagate the mycelium, and get more bang for your buck. You want to mycelium by the root, but if you got mycelium fully propagated through the soil, the roots are able to "take off" and allow "Super" growth.

This is based on all the stories that I've heard, which is why I'm giving this stuff a try.

I'm still looking for anyone that can quote local prices...

NWGT Garden Guru
    I went to a shop in ballard that had some. I didn't see the price but the place was really cool.

I made some of subcools soil before he was selling it, I had great results. I had even better results the longer I waited to use it, usually about a month.

Aging the soil is not a fallacy. Physical disruption (tilling, or in our case mixing) does great damage to the soil ecology. It DOES take significant time for healthy populations of micro and macro fauna to rebuild to pre-tlling levels, this is why many organic farms have adopted minimum till methods.
    Great flowers and Shatter available for delivery!

Flowers :
    http://www.nwgt.org/showthread.php?19784-High-CBD-flowers-available-for-delivery&p=280866#post280866

Shatter: http://www.nwgt.org/showthread.php?1...909#post271909

I am always in search of used: Horizontal parabolics, vertical sockets, and solis tek 1000w ballasts.

NWGT Contributor
    I'm using the TGA base and SS right now. It's cheaper to make your own for sure, but this stuff is pretty kick ass so far! I filled my pots up with 25% ss on the bottom of the, with a 2-3 inch layer of base mix to act as a buffer, then transplanted and topped off with more base. I just posted a pic up from my grow, not a burn, deficiency, or leaf curl that I can see...

Don't transplant into a pot with the SuperSoil until you have vegged for 30 days min.

Here's the WA distributor for Supersoil. They also know some places that carry Supersoil and can quote prices ..........

Dank Tank17028 Aurora Ave N Seattle,
    Washington 98133
    (206)533-1900
    Muttt

NWGT Contributor
    Green acres in Marysville carries it... $25 base / $45 SS I believe... Give or take a buck.

NWGT Contributor
    The downside to the mix is the ammonia that's created when the blood meal is ph buffered. You lose some nitrogen availability from the cooking process. I would like to try a veganic approach to building an amended soil, but this stuff is working great for me so far! I start with 0 ppm filtered water, add botanicare calmag at 5 ml a gal, and pH to 6.2-6.5.

Thanks for all the good info!

If any one is interested, I've started a grow journal. http://www.nwgt.org/showthread.php?1...471#post190471
    I have a bunch of things going on in my garden, at the moment.

I put together 6 plants (2 Vortex, 2 NY Sour Diesel, and 2 Jack Herer) in 7 gallon (#10) pots.
    I also have a Coco Coir, and various regular soil, plants going.
    The idea I'm going with is trying to find flavor variance, due to; grow medium/ Nutrient line (organic Vs. Chem)/ Lighting (HPS/Mh/Induction).
    The Vortex is the main control for all this, as the cut I have offers better wax flavor than anything else I grow or have tried. I've heard lots of hype about how flavors change from all this. Just trying to get some reliable intelligence (which is why I'm doing it all myself!).

I think I'm going to shut this one down, soon, as well. I get the feeling that there are all sorts of good threads that cover this. I also don't know if I receive caustic wrath for leaving threads open for too long on this forum...

I'd leave it open. So, others using super soil can post their experiences here .... instead of creating multiple threads on the same topic.
    Muttt

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub13 View Post
    The downside to the mix is the ammonia that's created when the blood meal is ph buffered. You lose some nitrogen availability from the cooking process. I would like to try a veganic approach to building an amended soil, but this stuff is working great for me so far! I start with 0 ppm filtered water, add botanicare calmag at 5 ml a gal, and pH to 6.2-6.5.
    aurora innovations elemental is a great powdered micronutrient mix to add to amended soils for avoiding having to add liquid cal mag. 1 bag works out to over a hundred gallons of cal mag liquid.
    Last edited by BigBillsBuds; 02-27-2013 at 09:46 AM.
    Find me @NWGROW.LINK

NWGT Contributor
    Thanks for that BigBill, I'll have to check it out! Does it have any substantial impact on the soil pH? DUB

Quote Originally Posted by jaydub13 View Post
    Thanks for that BigBill, I'll have to check it out! Does it have any substantial impact on the soil pH? DUB
    yes it raises ph.
    Find me @NWGROW.LINK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast