Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3200 USD, Received: 270 USD (8%)
2014 NWGT BBQ DONATION PLEDGE: Venue cost, food cost, bbq, cook, kitchen cost, Decorative supplies, chair and table rental, live music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rso recipe

rso recipe

Could anyone help me with a good RSO recipe that is easy to understand? I want to get my Diabetic mom and my dad who both recently had a brain hemorrhage, on RSO to help them cure themselves. So I need a real easy to understand recipe so they can make their own at home.

<=master_haze=>

thnx :)

I have the still here in SW Wa. Are you located locally Master-haze?

Recipe is basic, Soak in 190 everclear for 1-4 weeks strain filter and cook off everclear. We use a megahome essential oil still to recover the alcohol for re-use.

Skip
    My 1st grow journal
    Skippy's Grow & Drip bucket updates
    "Never look down on anybody, unless you're helping them up."

Put 200-300 grams of dried and ground up trim into a bag (made from a sheet or cheesecloth or something). Put the bag into a 1/2 gallon mason jar (easily found at walmart). Pour in a 1/2 gallon of 190 proof grain alchohol (found at Bevmo). Don't use Isopropyl alchohol, it's toxic. Let the weed soak in there for anywhere from 72 hour to 2 months. Depending on how strong you want it and how much of the other components you want in your RSO.

Pour off the green liquid into a bowl or pan. This green liquid is now a tinture (concentrated cannabis oil based alcohol drops) and you can just put it under your tounge or put it into food. Works great. But, still not as strong as RSO.

Ounce you have strained all the weed out of the green liquid, just toss the weed. It's completely useless at this point and has not THC/CBD left in it (at least enough to worry about). I like to sqeeze and twist the bag that I put the weed inside. This squeezes out all the alcohol and oil that is still stuck to the plant material and the bag. At this point, you can pour some clean alcohol over the bag/weed to rinse out as much of the oil as you can (but not neccessary).

Now you get rid of the alcohol. You can use a double boiler and boil it off. Or you can use a still machine, which allows to recover some of the alcohol. Either way works the same. You don't want to let your RSO/alcohol mixture get above 200 or so degrees. Any hotter than that and you start to vaporize off the compounds in it (like THC and CBD, etc). The alcohol boils at a much lower temperature than water. So, it will boil off fast at 160-180 degrees. Place in a 1/4 teaspoon of water to help make the alcohol boil off (this is optional and isn't neccassary for it to work). Boil till there isn't any alcohol left and you have a thick runny liquid that is black. Let it cool in a jar and you have RSO. Suck it up into 1ml syringes and you have syringes with about a gram of oil in them. That's pretty much all there is to it. Easy as hell to make.

I put about 200-300 grams of weed per 1/2 gallon mason jar. When I am done, that 300 grams gives me between 30 and 60 grams of oil. So, I would say 15 percent return or your weed/trim/bud will be average. Sometimes less sometimes more. It all depends on strain. How much trichome is on your trim. How resinous the strain is. How thick your branches/stems are (you want to throw your stems in there too, anything smaller around than a pencil) branches and stems have alot of potential oil in them. If you throw them away, you are missing out on a lot of oil. I cut the stems into short 1 or 2 inch pieces. And throw them in with the rest. I like to leave the tiny popcorn on the stems. The more popcorn or bud you throw in there, the more potent it will be. A coupel friend of mine run whole plant RSO. They put in everything except the root ball. Bud, colas, everything .... makes some really bad ass oil. Since my friends brother is a cancer survivor, and I've lost many friends to cancer over the years. We like to make less oil that is way stronger .... than weaker oil that makes more grams.
    Muttt

Skippy: I have my own still. left over from my days of experimenting with making my own spirits, so I am good on that department, just wanted a recipe as I didn't know whether or not there were any special tricks to it. :)

Thnx for the replies, I will pass the info on to my mom. Will be a great help to her. :)

This thing is actaully one of the easiest and efficient ways to make it. But .... unfortunately, these things cost alot.

http://www.superflowertower.com/

I guess they started selling these out of high times magazine or something like that back in the 70's. I met a guy last year that still has one and uses it all the time. This is just a copy of that original unit. But, they are virtually the same in every way. This unit also allows you to reclaim a good amount of your alcohol.
    Muttt

Quote Originally Posted by Muttt View Post
    This thing is actaully one of the easiest and efficient ways to make it. But .... unfortunately, these things cost alot.

http://www.superflowertower.com/

I guess they started selling these out of high times magazine or something like that back in the 70's. I met a guy last year that still has one and uses it all the time. This is just a copy of that original unit. But, they are virtually the same in every way. This unit also allows you to reclaim a good amount of your alcohol.
    I have to get my mom one of these, she'll appreciate the seventies psychedelic design too ^_^ and $500 is peanuts for the health of my mom.
    Thank you so much for the hint. :)

<=master_haze=>

True .... even though they are rediculously priced for what they are. You can easily make back your investment with your first batch of oil. Everything after that is free (except for the everclear).
    Muttt

Seems mutt and crew got this one covered pretty good, it's a simple process really. Remember to put that teaspoon of water in at the very tail end of process (almost all alcohol is evaporated or reclaimed,) and use distilled if possible. (this helps seperate the oil/alcohol molecules)
    and anybody doing larger batches will benifit from a 'press' over hand wringing, as you will get much more oil laden alcohol back

Actually, from what I heard BORNON is the oil king and the rest of us are just novice .... LOL.

I'd love to have some kind of press. But, I haven't been able to find anything that would be ideal. Something similar to the coffee presses that let you pour off the liquid and presses down and holds the plant material. Or ... something you just crank down and the liquid just runs out the bottom. Not alot of kitchen stores over on the Bremerton side of the water.

OH almost forgot ............Wear gloves, wear gloves, wear gloves. Unless, you want to get really really high. If you fuck around with the liquid using your bare hands (ringing things out, cleaning up), it will eventaully start soaking into your skin.
    Last edited by Muttt; 05-06-2013 at 01:08 PM.
    Muttt

Harbor freight, 12ton hyd floor press (120$) 6" drain pipe x 16-20" tall, a Teflon 6" round plate 1/2" thick with rubber seal over it, (no stick silpada mat). Metal filter on bottom, can be a floor drain grate. Pressed into a funnel placed on bottom of press. I've used an apple press but it did not work well. The hydraulic not only yielded 3-5 cups of alcohol from very dry feeling wrung out meds, but the OILS contained in those last few cups was amazing! My yield doubled when I began pressing with meds never dropping below 65-80% thc in testing.
    press takes a bit of putting together, and about 180-200$, but well worth it if you can swing it.
    Ill try and post a pic if I get to my main computer.

thank you all, you've been very helpful. I have a good amount of knowledge in a lot of areas but rso wasn't one of them. And yeah, whenever I touch any part of any plant I always wear gloves for hygiene, has become a hard to kick habit that I dont want to kick anyway. :P Thats kind of the same way as you'd get high as a kite from just trimming alone. :)

<=master_haze=>

I'd love to see a pic of your press if you can get some taken. I'll be able to copy it just from a pic.
    Muttt

I'd love to see a pic of your press if you can get some taken. I'll be able to copy it just from a pic.
    lol I just built a quick press the other day for way under 50 bucks works quite well using 2 ton bottle jack IMG_20130510_202911.jpg and a wooden frame because i needed it quick I am welding a steel frame this coming week there is a ram that mounts on top and in the back is tube sticking out of pan and I mounted bungees to spring load return the pan also there is a smaller pan on the inside with holes drilled in it to make a strainer basket I got this wonderful idea here just did not feel like paying 800 bucks
    https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=680
    Last edited by Mad~Professor; 05-12-2013 at 03:34 AM.
    "Have the wisdom of the crone with the eyes of a Yearling."

Well that is just too damn simple. I'll be starting on one today. Any chance I could get you to take some pics of the strainer pan. I'd like to see how you put your holes in it.
    Muttt

Quote Originally Posted by Mad~Professor View Post
    lol I just built a quick press the other day for way under 50 bucks works quite well using 2 ton bottle jack IMG_20130510_202911.jpg and a wooden frame because i needed it quick I am welding a steel frame this coming week there is a ram that mounts on top and in the back is tube sticking out of pan and I mounted bungees to spring load return the pan also there is a smaller pan on the inside with holes drilled in it to make a strainer basket I got this wonderful idea here just did not feel like paying 800 bucks
    https://www.horizonherbs.com/product.asp?specific=680
    Not $800 at Harbor Freight bro.
    Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

That's more like it .... that'll save a weeks worth of work.
    Muttt

Well that is just too damn simple. I'll be starting on one today. Any chance I could get you to take some pics of the strainer pan. I'd like to see how you put your holes in it.
    Check out the video.

http://vimeo.com/12953268
    Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I've been looking at this style thinking about grabbing one.
    http://www.fermentationtrap.com/1213.html

That's really similar to what I found. I saw this and decided it would suit my purposes quite well. Luckily they have all the scrap metal I needed down at Navy City Metals. The nice guy even cut it all to length for me. All I need to do it weld it all together and buy a long threaded rod to use as a screw.

http://www.herbtincturepress.com/
    Muttt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast