Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New way to KILL POWDERY MILDEW

New way to KILL POWDERY MILDEW

UV-C light kills all fungal spores. You can use it on all surfaces to kill fungal spores.
    It is a dangerous light for eyes and skin though, goggles and skin protection are necessary.

They are used in pond filters, T5 T8 and pl-s bulbs can be found on ebay.
    Last edited by Soup; 12-23-2011 at 08:08 PM.

can't exposure hurt plants too? they're also using these things to sterilize house to kill MRSA

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsapgrapeape View Post
    can't exposure hurt plants too? they're also using these things to sterilize house to kill MRSA
    I haven't used one myself, just relaying info. I'm sure they could harm plants if they are exposed for too long? They are not left on in the grow room, they are used by hand for short exposure times. According to the rep in the video units will be distributed in grow shops soon.

so, can this be used on vegetative plants? prior to going into bloom?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee2011 View Post
    totally man, these sounds like a great product to try out, especially on late flowering plants, those harmful uv lights might even trick your flowers into producing more resin. i don't know but if you wanted to try one now you could probably go out and get a uvc light thats used to kill bacteria in your home and try it out, i was on the verge of getting one but the sulphur burner fixed my issues.

My understanding is it can be used at any stage, it's also effective against bud rot spores.

i'm pretty sure that it will kill anything you leave shining on long enough, like he said if you put it on your skin it will burn the fuck out of you, if you shine it on one spot of your plant to long it will burn the shit out of it, i think uvc light is pretty much a killer of anything thats alive.

Lmfao, damn kga, its hard to tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Hahaha, I just might get one and try it at my buddys place. lol. maybe on 1 or2 plants in veg and see what happens.

Here's a manual, they claim in the right dosage it actually strengthens plants.

http://www.ufosupplies.nl/upload/Pro..._Manual_UK.pdf

its hard for me to watch videos and look at links when I'm on my phone, but UFO supplies? is that the same company that makes the little led's?

not sarcastic at all man, i don't doubt its effectiveness at all, i'm sure its the best way to kill spores, i read up on it a while ago, my kids kept getting MRSA and i wanted to get rid of it, from what i read uv-c destroys DNA. nasty stuff but i'd say much safe for patients then other methods of killing pm.

its hard for me to watch videos and look at links when I'm on my phone, but UFO supplies? is that the same company that makes the little led's?
    I don't think so, the brochure is aimed at large commercial greenhouses, tomatoes, roses, etc.

After reading the brochure, I was mistaken it does not kill the actual spores just the actual mildew itself.

last year we tested a couple of hand wands, all on outdoor plants, stuff from the veggie garden etc... with varying degrees of success. the risk of skin cancer IS very high so you cant hold a branch from the other side while you sweep it. i think that is the reason we dont see 100% results. you really need to get within a centimeter or so for 20/30 seconds.

since we only have late summer squashes and melons to test on, it was just a few months of messing about. the best one we found was the verilux clean wave.

best use for uv/c as it applies to PM is as an inline part of your air handling system. kill spores in the air, wont be any on the plants....
    recently saw one about to go into action, and am hoping to hear that all the monster gigantic buds in there are free of any mold or rot come harvest time.
    an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured.

-you can lead a horticulture but you cant make her think.

UV is produced by the sun so I doubt it would be harmful to plants. Typically UV doesn't kill, it sterilizes so it can't reproduce.
    Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I believe the ozone layer filters out the uv-c so us and plants don't feel it's potency.

I use this one inline with my carbon filter. http://www.rgfairpurification.com/
    Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

but will it kill it systemically?

NWGT Garden Guru
    Im on the fence on this one. My thoughts..... The sun puts out UV-C, so why is there PM on outdoor plants?
    Shouldnt the UV-C from the sun kill the PM on outdoor gardens?

~Lem

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhoko View Post
    Im on the fence on this one. My thoughts..... The sun puts out UV-C, so why is there PM on outdoor plants?
    Shouldnt the UV-C from the sun kill the PM on outdoor gardens?

~Lem
    The UV levels need to be way higher and more focused than the sun produces to effectively kill bacteria, spores, ect. Hence the extremely high skin cancer risk.

We used to use uv filters in the aquarium industry all the time to kill bacteria. Hospitals use uv filters also, if I am not mistaken.
    Just a dab will do ya!

GP is correct. I've tried wands too, and it wasn't a wonder weapon. I've seen where then have lights on rails in greenhouses in Europe to expose plants directly. I think the inline air treatments are most effective.
    Ask Krinkle... don't ask me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast