Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3200 USD, Received: 270 USD (8%)
2014 NWGT BBQ DONATION PLEDGE: Venue cost, food cost, bbq, cook, kitchen cost, Decorative supplies, chair and table rental, live music.

Thread: Decarbonizing WTF

NWGT Contributor

Decarbonizing WTF

Reading alot of posts stateing that your bud needs to be decarbonized to ingest as a medication. Something about it needs to be heated to 251 degrees for a period of time. Anybody know anything about this. I can't find anything in the search area.

THC exists within the marijuana plant in a form that has a CO2 attached to it.This is considered to be an inactive form.When that molecule is heated, the CO2 easily pops off and floats away. This is then the "active" form of THC.How much heat is required to break off this CO2. The warmer it is the faster it floats off.
    At room temperature the CO2 will all be gone in about a year.
    At 200F it should all be gone in about a half hour.
    At 300F it should be gone in about 2 seconds.
    In a burning ember (say 2000F) instantly.

At body temperature (as in after you eat it) I believe it takes several hours.

Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200 C (355-392 F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106 deg C (220 F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor. ... However, it is easy to make sure all the THC is decarboxylated and is at full strength before it is extracted. Although decarboxylation takes place rapidly at 106 deg. C, it proceeds at a more gradual pace by placing the cannabis in a room with low relative humidity and room temperature. As the temperature rises, the rate of decarboxylation increases.

CBD also exists within the plant in the form of CBDA. It also, when heated, tosses off a CO2 to become CBD.

This is a very handy reaction in that one of the products of the reaction is a gas (CO2). That means the reaction can go to completion. That is every bit of the compound tosses off the CO2.

Many of the other cannabinoids within the cannabis plant exist in the inactive, acid form.

Now then a note of caution about the application of heat. Some of the most beneficial compounds within the plant are those that make up the smell and colors of the plant. Many of these drift off when you warm the material.

There is a balance between enough heat to activate it and the loss of potential medically valuable compounds.

In short Removal of the Plant Matter (Carbon) that can have problems such as mold, bacteria, viruses, etc. will keep the CBD and THC in it's purest most sterile form making it of Medical Grade of Quality.

NWGT Senior Member
    decarboxilation brokeneckandback explained it perfect!

People are usually using this word when making edibles, when you smoke it this is not needed, but you cant put some ground up weed on a cold salad and expect to get high.
    Last edited by wpa; 01-21-2012 at 11:06 PM.

VERY interesting!! Thank you BN&B!!
    ~*KARMA IS A BITCH... JUST MAKE SURE THAT BITCH IS BEAUTIFUL*~

FOR THOSE THAT DON'T BELIEVE, THERE IS NO REASON FOR PROOF... FOR THOSE THAT DO BELIEVE, THERE IS NO REASON FOR DOUBT.

westcoast_gof on Instagram[/SIZE]

NWGT Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeNeck&Back View Post
    THC exists within the marijuana plant in a form that has a CO2 attached to it.This is considered to be an inactive form.When that molecule is heated, the CO2 easily pops off and floats away. This is then the "active" form of THC.How much heat is required to break off this CO2. The warmer it is the faster it floats off.
    At room temperature the CO2 will all be gone in about a year.
    At 200F it should all be gone in about a half hour.
    At 300F it should be gone in about 2 seconds.
    In a burning ember (say 2000F) instantly.

At body temperature (as in after you eat it) I believe it takes several hours.

Marijuana produces THCA, an acid with the carboxylic group (COOH) attached. In its acid form, THC is not very active. It is only when the carboxyl group is removed that THC becomes psychoactive. When marijuana is smoked, the THC behind the hot spot is vaporized as the hot air from the burn is drawn through the joint or pipe bowl to the unburned material. The liquid THC and other cannabinoids have a boiling point of between 180-200 C (355-392 F). Before they turn gaseous, at around 106 deg C (220 F), the carboxyl group is released from the molecule as carbon dioxide and water vapor. ... However, it is easy to make sure all the THC is decarboxylated and is at full strength before it is extracted. Although decarboxylation takes place rapidly at 106 deg. C, it proceeds at a more gradual pace by placing the cannabis in a room with low relative humidity and room temperature. As the temperature rises, the rate of decarboxylation increases.

CBD also exists within the plant in the form of CBDA. It also, when heated, tosses off a CO2 to become CBD.

This is a very handy reaction in that one of the products of the reaction is a gas (CO2). That means the reaction can go to completion. That is every bit of the compound tosses off the CO2.

Many of the other cannabinoids within the cannabis plant exist in the inactive, acid form.

Now then a note of caution about the application of heat. Some of the most beneficial compounds within the plant are those that make up the smell and colors of the plant. Many of these drift off when you warm the material.

There is a balance between enough heat to activate it and the loss of potential medically valuable compounds.

In short Removal of the Plant Matter (Carbon) that can have problems such as mold, bacteria, viruses, etc. will keep the CBD and THC in it's purest most sterile form making it of Medical Grade of Quality.
    So when making butter or cookies, or any form of edibles, the heat used for cooking decarbolates the THC during the cooking process? I have been adding kief to my iced tea, but without heating it first I'm wasting my time, and good kief?
    Good info -Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jjh1957 View Post
    So when making butter or cookies, or any form of edibles, the heat used for cooking decarbolates the THC during the cooking process? I have been adding kief to my iced tea, but without heating it first I'm wasting my time, and good kief?
    Good info -Thanks

not necessarily, your body heat will still do the job it just takes several hours for the process to happen.

NWGT Contributor
    I heated my kief in the oven for 40 minutes @ 200 degrees. What a difference, 1 tsp in a glass of tea and I was walking circles all night.

Banned
    When baking your bieng a chemist pretty much as my understanding is the molecules seperate and the ones we want attach to the fat inside the butter or whatever u r using as a binding element for the thc cbd etc to bind to then u just cook with that butter and aslong as its not heated too hot those molecules that binded to the butter are now readily available to be consumed. . .

I believe thats right pretty neat stuff imho.

Quote Originally Posted by jjh1957 View Post
    I heated my kief in the oven for 40 minutes @ 200 degrees. What a difference, 1 tsp in a glass of tea and I was walking circles all night.
    lol, at least you could walk :)

NWGT Jr. Member
    Here's a decarb graph to time your sessions.