Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 3200 USD, Received: 270 USD (8%)
2014 NWGT BBQ DONATION PLEDGE: Venue cost, food cost, bbq, cook, kitchen cost, Decorative supplies, chair and table rental, live music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoking BHO

Smoking BHO

Hello Folks, Recently I heard of some dangers of inhaling well purged butane extracted hash oil. The friend that sent me the article said folks that use this eventually suffer from lung problems, even lung collapse & death. I've relied on this medicine for wasting syndrome for over 2 years now, the old lungs ain't what they used to be, but I can't narrow this down to BHO use. Any thinkers out there that could shed light on this? BTW-I always purge my oil very well...

That's not good if it's true lol

NWGT Contributor
    I would like to see the link he sent u....... We Vape oil not smoke it. So I'm sure if purged right it's fine.

NWGT Garden Guru RedEyed Genetics's Avatar
    BHO is great but there is no question that I personally feel very ill effects if I smoke it more than once a day. Subcool also has been commenting on his dislike of BHO.... Check out his youtube videos called weed nerd! There is something to be said about using the same chemicals that make propane in extraction practices.... I dont have any proof but the way my body feels.

I have no experience with BHO and probably never will. I just want to be far removed from the processing of this lovely plant and just let it do its thing. Also, there is no conclusive evidence either way to it being healthy or un-healthy. So pretty much you guys are in the experimental phase, I'll praise you guys for being pioneers and I hope that you stay healthy at the same time doing it :).
    My thoughts on legalization? Genesis 1:29

I sure hope not, cuz I love me some errl

I'd imagine that the oil vapor/smoke is pretty rough on ones respiratory system. I'm sure that the damage done would depend partly on frequency of use and quality of the material being vaped. I've been smoking oil several times a week and sometimes daily for a few years now and still am breathing easy. I think for the most part if It is purged well it isint any more dangerous than what alot of people inhale daily (cig smokers).

Please post a link to said article or this thread will be closed/deleted. Thank you.
    I speak Medical Marijuana but the voices in my head speak Russian

Live simply so that others may simply live.

I'm more worried about what I was ingesting throughout the years growing up. All the resin I've smoked in middle school. All the bammer weed throughout high school. Pre-mature buds. Metal pipes, plastic bongs, blunt wraps, hookas. Smoking out of almost EVERYTHING.

My Grow Journal
    <--- Check it

NWGT Senior Member
    Remember folks this is very experimental, and everyone has their own opinions on how to purge, how much to purge, what kind of butane to use etc.

I would ONLY donate for oils that have been extrated with a tamisium, using N-butane, and vacuum purged the shit out of the end product. Other wise imho there is a potential health risk with long term use. I am no doctor but this is so new that there are no *GOLD STANDARD* ways of processing and there are no studies done on the risks of vaping or smoking oil that has been processed with these chemicals.

I did know someone who sold A LOT of weed on the blackmarket, and for a while he was giving all the shake off the lbs to his buddy who would turn it into oil. For a few weeks he was hitting the oil HARD, I mean like not smoking any flowers at all, and staying high all day (at least 6 or so dabs daily). One time I went over there and all his oil stuff was gone, when I asked why he told me his one of his lungs started to really hurt and it spooked him enough that he went strait back to smoking flowers only and hasn't had a problem since
    Last edited by wpa; 02-03-2012 at 12:17 PM.

There are many "old" time BHO'ers chiming out warnings. Subcool is chiming it out...and he also states his bubblehash has something to do with his loss of his lung functions. I believe I read somewhere, Bogs, Bodhi, Chimera and some other old time breeders are all preaching against the dangers of BHO.
    There is no concrete proof of any of this...Im thinking like anything else..if its in moderation and not abused, Im sure you wont have too much to worry about.

But yes, the buzz out there amoungst some old heads is that concentrates really hurt lung power.

~Lem

NWGT Contributor
    Don't forget about the dangers of weed smoke. I hack up a lung when i take bong rips, sometimes enough to make my throat hurt. Never had that experience from oil. Yea you cough, but it doesn't feel the same. I think there is a lot more tar in weed smoke, than oil smoke/vapor. I can also smoke oil when I'm sick, where weed doesn't even sound good when I'm under the weather(because of the hacking).

Quote Originally Posted by JoshBlazemaster View Post
    Don't forget about the dangers of weed smoke. I hack up a lung when i take bong rips, sometimes enough to make my throat hurt. Never had that experience from oil. Yea you cough, but it doesn't feel the same. I think there is a lot more tar in weed smoke, than oil smoke/vapor. I can also smoke oil when I'm sick, where weed doesn't even sound good when I'm under the weather(because of the hacking).

Its the opposite for me my friend...concentrates blow up my lungs way more than straight weed.

~Lem

Avcs n grasshopper are the gold standard
    Ask Krinkle... don't ask me!

NWGT Jr. Member
    been smoking oils almost 4 years pretty solidly now. herb / plant hash pretty minimally. recently had the ol bagpipes checked out during a physical just because i was curious (hurray for health insurance!! lol). my respiratory system was x-rayed and i told my doctor i was a light marijuana smoker, no cigarettes since i was 19 and thought it was cool. He said my lungs looked great, everything was fine and i was healthy as an 18 year old. All i needed to do was lose 20 lbs which i totally agree with hahahaha. I believe that everyone is different however and as mentioned before Purging has a huge thing to do with it. I have been a stickler since the beginning fearing for my health and I'm still alive and kicking :P

i would say my lung capacity has decreased over the years but shit, like i said before I'm out of shape! Just recently started jogging again but sometimes that proves to be difficult...

anyways dab on guys! time to do some pushups LOL

photo2-5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BunglesBreh View Post
    been smoking oils almost 4 years pretty solidly now. herb / plant hash pretty minimally. recently had the ol bagpipes checked out during a physical just because i was curious (hurray for health insurance!! lol). my respiratory system was x-rayed and i told my doctor i was a light marijuana smoker, no cigarettes since i was 19 and thought it was cool. He said my lungs looked great, everything was fine and i was healthy as an 18 year old. All i needed to do was lose 20 lbs which i totally agree with hahahaha. I believe that everyone is different however and as mentioned before Purging has a huge thing to do with it. I have been a stickler since the beginning fearing for my health and I'm still alive and kicking :P

i would say my lung capacity has decreased over the years but shit, like i said before I'm out of shape! Just recently started jogging again but sometimes that proves to be difficult...

anyways dab on guys! time to do some pushups LOL

photo2-5.jpg

Thank you for sharing, this is very helpful :) I also think that dabbing is a lot easyer on my lungs over herb because its vaped and I need a lot less "smoke" to ease the pain.

NWGT Contributor
    Another thing I'd like to point out when we say oil is good for u.... we mean proper purged oil.... So make it yourself or get from a known quality oil maker. Bungles makes some nice oil and I know for a fact Bungles only makes oil for himself or sometimes gets form a few other sources.

So people please don't chase the cheapest gram cause your health is at risk.... ask the co op or whoever what process was done to make it. If they don't have a fast answer then they could be feeding u some Sh!t.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEyedNReady View Post
    BHO is great but there is no question that I personally feel very ill effects if I smoke it more than once a day. Subcool also has been commenting on his dislike of BHO.... Check out his youtube videos called weed nerd! There is something to be said about using the same chemicals that make propane in extraction practices.... I dont have any proof but the way my body feels.
    ^^^ What he said. Last time I smoked BHO, it made me feel nauseous and like I was having an asthma attack. My lungs felt like they had been removed and I couldn't breath. Then I got a wicked headache, chills and nausea. I'm not condemning it, but it was definitely an unpleasant experience. I should note, that this only happened once, when I smoked it from a skillet. And it was by far the biggest hit I had ever had. But if I put a dab on a bud or vape it I just get really really high. Maybe somebody could explain to me why they think this happened?

Any chance you can post that article KM?

^^^ Sounds like you just took to big of a hit... Those skillets will give you crazy hits, just dont over do it lol

NWGT Senior Member
    Properly processed oil like stoney, AVCS, and grasshopper (prolly some others out there) when used in moderation i'm sure wont do anything to you. But still I think that if you vape the stuff that I always seem to see in co-ops you are putting yourself at risk, and at the moment we don't know the risks if there are any. We know that cannabis in its natural form is safe if grown correctly, so im sticking with mostly herb. Not saying that I don't like to pick up some good oil every now and again, but I would say I only use it maybe 3-4 times a week. and that was my other problem, when I was vaping oil hard for a couple weeks, my tolerance went through the roof, I remember one morning I smoked 3 bowls just to really feel the high, that's when I really slowed down with the oil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast